Leather bar stools are very popular now. These stools have different sizes and designs and thus can fit into many decor styles. However, much as you can gain from leather stools, there are times when the chairs can have some problems. Therefore, in this article, I am going to give you some tips on how do you fix leather bar stools so that you can use them for longer periods.
Tips on How Do You Fix Leather Bar Stools
Have you ever heard about what Dr. Seuss said about sitting comfortably? Perhaps I should remind you of his famous quote, “You can get a lot of help from your mentors, but you will need to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room.” Well, you are sitting on your leather bar stool. Unfortunately, it is not in the best condition. Will you wait until someone comes to your aid?
Undoubtedly, you are not going to sit there for long, waiting for help. It will be upon you to take up the mantle and fix your leather seats. Indeed, repairing these leather stools could be a daunting process for many people. However, it will be worth your time and effort. How about we get a few insights into how to repair such stools? Here is what you need to know.
- First, take the time to soften as well as lubricate the leather and then put a cloth over it. Preferably, you will need a leather conditioner from a reputed brand for this task. This move will ensure that the leather stretches enough. Besides, it will come in handy in cushioning it against accentuating any mark in the long run.
- Next, cleaning follows the lubrication. It is at this point that you will need to remove any polish or dirt on the leather. Ensure that you use clean yet soapy water.
- Then, fill the vinyl patch. Ideally, you will need to mark the underside of this vinyl and push it through the center of the hole. Take the time to move it around until it is no longer with wrinkles. Using an adhesive, glue the underside to the edges of the hole.
- After that, leave the seat and glue to set for approximately twenty minutes. This period is enough for the adhesive to be effective.
- Once the glue sets in, you will then need to fill this crater. Ensure that you fill it to the surface. If you are allowed to sand the material, do not shy away from doing it. You could also trowel it with an ice stick.
- The final step involves re-coloring the surface. Ensure that you color the seat evenly such that there will be the ripped portion is hardly exposed or known. Also, if you have dining chairs that are put together with the leather stools, you may need some suggestions on if bar stools and dining chairs have to match before re-coloring.
Replacing or Fixing A New Leather Material on the Seat
On the other hand, the leather could be too old to repair. In such instances, you will need to replace it with a new one. Did you know that you could still do this by yourself? Here are the steps to follow when replacing or fixing a new leather material on the seat.
- To start with, put the leather material on a flat surface, preferably when facing down. Take the time to smooth out any wrinkles that they could be having.
- If your seat is still on the stool, unscrew it and measure the thickness of the given place. It is from here that you will set this seat on the leather and trace around it. This way, you will get a guide on how to cut the leather.
- Usually, you will need to add at least two inches on the measurements that you get from the previous step. Cut your leather along this new measurement, preferably using a heavy-duty sewing pair of scissors.
- Next, use a band saw, ensure that you cut your foam along the second set of measurements too. From there, put the foam on a relatively flat surface. Set your seat on top of it, hold it down, and staple it.
- Finally, staple your leather on the seat. Ensure that you tuck your leather accordingly, as it will be vital in ensuring that it becomes aesthetically pleasing.
- Of course, if your bar stool has a curved back, then you may want to know how to upholster a curved seatback. Then please click to read the guide.
Repairing your leather stool will be one of the wisest decisions for you to make. Ideally, it will be the best way for you to save money in the long run. You will hardly spend on the services of a professional. Besides, the cost will be much lower compared to when you choose to replace it. The move will also assure you of enhanced convenience in the long run. You will handle the repair within a timeframe that suits you. As you look forward to enjoying the comfort of your leather seat, it will be vital to keep the insights mentioned above in mind. Always consider them.
After reading this guide, you must have known how do you fix leather bar stools. However, if you find the stools difficult and even impossible to fix, then we have some tips on what to do with old stools. Also, below we recommend top 3 best leather stools you can buy to replace the old ones.