Choosing the best bar stools for your island requires a lot of thinking. For example, you may wonder which style you should pick. Or you may ask, how many stools can I fit at my island? Here is a detailed guide on how to know the number of bar stools you can choose for your place.
1. Decide the Function of Your Island
Creating a casual yet sleek dining space requires some creativity on your end. Knowing the height and width of a bar stool in relation to one’s counter is essential to understanding the number of stools that can fit one’s island. The stools should be to fit well and leave enough space as the bar is a place to feel some comfort too. Before determining the height and width of stools, one needs to think of how they use the counter and the spaces near it.
If it is close to other areas, then having minimal seats is the best choice, while if the counter is separated from the rest of the rooms, more seats are elegant. Analyzing the available options of kitchen layouts is also a necessary step to take before knowing the number of stools you need. Some arrangements accommodate more seating than others.
Most Comfortable AmazonBasics Classic Wood Kitchen Bar Stool
- Set of two saddle-seat counter stools with foot rests
- Sturdy solid wood construction with A-frame design and square legs
- Contoured saddle-seat provides even weight distribution up to 220 pounds
- Ideal for counter-height surfaces such as kitchen islands, work tables, home bars, and more
- Classic design fits in with both contemporary and traditional decor
- Easy to assemble; includes all necessary hardware. Total product dimension is 16 x 13 x 24. Top wood (seat) dimension is 16 x 9.
2. Know the Size of Stools and Your Counter
Barstools’ width measures between 16 to 21 inches; therefore, before buying them, you need to measure the counter. Experts advise you to ensure to allow at least a 24-inch sitting space per stool to allow for comfort, but you can extend up to 30 inches. After getting the counter’s width measurement, you need to divide the found measurements by 24. The answer found would be the number of required stools. For instance, if you find that the width of the counter is 96 inches, the number of the necessary number of stools would be 4.
3. Leave Some Space Between Each Barstool
There should be some space between each bar stool, to allow for one not to feel crowded. Adjustable barstools without arms should have about 6 inches distance between them while those with arms or those that swivel should have 8 to 10 inches distance between them. Understanding the perfect height and width helps in ensuring that there is a correct placement of the chairs that brings about both comfort and order.
Hot Selling Backless UrbanMod 2 Bar Stool to Save Room
- Our durable, safe, stackable and galvanized metal bar stools can withstand any pressures upto 330lb, optimal choice for brightening up any boring indoor and outdoor spaces
- If you are tired of wobbly, dented, and low-quality stools. Our pre-assembled stools comes with anti-slip rubber padded feet and x-brace under the seat to provide you utmost support and stability
- These sleek and modern bar stools are best suited for home, farmhouse, bar and pub, cafes and restaurants, classrooms, workshop, seating establishments and patio
- No upholstery, universally appealing barstool is on a must have list for mothers to enjoy with their kids as a breakfast stool and collect unsolicited favorable compliments along the way
- Buy it for life, our quality made backless bar stools comes with lifetime warranty. Your satisfaction, our priority, because nothing makes us happier than a happy customer
4. Don’t Forget Some Legroom
As mentioned earlier, you need to choose a perfect height that blends beautifully with the counter’s height. The bar stool has to fit well under the counter. Another tip that goes a long way is to consider the legroom when choosing the size. The height of a bar counter usually ranges between 32 to 38 inches. The stools have to range between 8 to 11 inches for it to accommodate both children and adults. If the seat isn’t between this range, then you can be sure that it would be either disproportionate or feel uncomfortable.
Top-Rated COSTWAY Counter Height Adjustable Barstool
- ✨【Modern & Classic Appearance】These upgraded bar stools with stylish round design, backless and armless wood seat and metal frame will enlighten your restaurant, bistro, coffee house, patio, home kitchen or any other decor theme.
- 🥘【Comfortable Design】The built-in footrest is durable and stable which provides a comfortable place to rest your feet with our bar stools. And the 360 degrees swivel design gives you or your guest the freedom of movement and the convenience to communicate with others in any direction.
- 🍜【User Friendly】The side handle adjusts the height from 26.5" to 29.5" easily and safely. You can adjust thebar stool height according to your different needs. And the armless design can fit various body types.
- 🔥【360 degrees swivel design】The built-in footrest is durable and stable which provides a comfortable place to rest your feet. And the 360 degrees swivel design gives you or your guest the freedom of movement and the convenience to communicate with others in any direction.
- 🌻【Easy Handling】This high quality bar stool is made of wood and steel, which is wear-resisting, ageing resisting and has no peculiar smell. And you can just clean it with wipe cloth.
5. Barstools with Arms Take Up More Space
It is important to note that armed bar stools usually have 2-3 more inches than those without arms. Additionally, open islands that have no walls tend to accommodate more stools. After assessing the measurements of the counter and the stools it can accommodate, it is pertinent to know the distance that should be between one seat and a wall. The recommended inches for one to comfortably clear out of a stool are 18 inches. It means that distance between the edge of the counter and the back of the stool should be 18 inches.
6. Ensure Some Room Between the Seat and the Countertop
Those who find that they have 2ft are actually on the safe side, as this is more than enough. This is because some prefer that; others to walk behind someone who’s already seated, they need to add one foot from the 2ft. If you want your bar island to occupy more seating, then you need to pay attention to the stools you pick. Although, too many stools tend to cram the kitchen up or prevent passages at the walkways. You need to be conversant with the number of seats you seek, the height of the bar, and the kind of seats that would fit your kitchen’s design.
7. Match the Design of Your Place
The kitchen design will assist you in planning the right stools that would fit. There are different shapes, sizes, and colors of bar stools. And they are also available in different materials, from metal to wooden. Measuring them or checking the measurements written is the ideal way of ensuring that they would fit. Assuming that the stools labeled either counter height or bar height will fit automatically will lead you to purchase the wrong stools as your counter’s measurements could out of the known range, hence the need to measure the seats before purchasing them.
Best Mid Century Modern Design Christopher Knight Home Barstool
- These mid century modern barstools are the answer to the question you didn’t even know you had. Not only do they feature an extra plush cushioned seats, but they also embody the feel and style of mid century with their toothpick shaped legs and high backed seat back.
- Both stylish and comfortable, these stools are sure to be a hit.
- Composition: 100% Polyester
- Sturdy construction for everyday use and enjoyment
It is quite fun to choose bar stools for your bars or your home kitchen counter as the products are all beautiful. And purchasing the ones that match your decor perfectly can be a huge plus. Eye-pleasing decor can always attract more guests or customers. So, here are the 3 Best Looking Bar Stools that are of high quality to help you make your decision.
Our Top Pick: Best Bar Stools for Bars & Kitchen Island